Sunday, May 16, 2010

THE EMPOWERED LIFE Living Beyond Limitations & Lack of Resources

Several motivational speakers and empowerment practitioners made us believe that we are only empowered if we have money. All empowerment programmes including the ones initiated by Government are geared towards teaching and giving us one principle or the other with which to make money.

I once fell into that trap when due to the financial situation of my church members including jobless graduates, I was led or better put moved by compassion to start teaching them how to make money I an empowerment programme that held every Saturday afternoon.

I taught them FOREX trading, internet investment opportunities (e-gold), network marketing and the likes but I discovered it was not working. I shared my predicament with one of my Pastors and he laughed at me and told me I was teaching my church members how to make money and that if I want to teach empowerment, I must learn from Jesus. He referred me to the book of Matthew 10:1-20.

“Empowerment is the ability to produce results without resources”. I understood from the scripture above that Jesus empowered His disciples and for the avoidance of doubt, instructed them not to embark on the assignment with any self support or money. I also understand that any man who puts money or physical considerations first before God will not be able to accomplish anything.

Longman’s Family dictionary defines empowerment as “to give official authority or legal power to”. How then did the practitioners of empowerment seminars and motivational speakers arrive at their own definition? In my spiritual ignorance and no thanks to the practitioners and motivational speakers, I believed and taught empowerment to my church members as money making.

Please buckle your spiritual belt as I take you on a journey to discover how Jesus lived and taught empowerment. Empowerment says “you can work anywhere you desire without human connection, you can start business without physical cash, you can say to people come and they come, you can do as the Lord pleases for there are no limitations in the spirit”.

No comments:

Post a Comment